Thursday, August 17, 2006

Built to come last

Before I start today, can I recommend the marvellous blog of Mr Dome, who I think is a friend of one of my campaign chaps, Mr Luntz.

Astute readers will notice that I have already launched the New Tory aims and values, in Feburary, see here. However nobody really paid much attention, and we got it quite wrong, so I thought we would have another go.

So here is my new new statement of new new values:
  • Make positive noises about Lib Dem values, Labour values, Green values
  • Avoid committing to anything
  • Make some noises calculated to maintain the dissent among Tories at a manageable level
  • Avoid committing to anything
  • If asked any difficult questions, lose one's rag a bit
Detractors may scoff, but it is actually quite difficult to put something together that sounds like a real policy commitment. Lets take our promise of binding targets for carbon emissions, for example. Sounds great, doesn't it? But binding on who? Everyone who emits carbon? Who knows, and frankly, who cares?

No comments: